Showing posts with label Puff the Dragon. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Puff the Dragon. Show all posts

Saturday, October 05, 2019

Puff Reborn

Continuing on with tale of the poor Puff quilt - the day I first saw the quilt top, all I knew was that it was a dragon quilt. When I first saw what I was getting myself into, the quilting plan Ifirst came up with was just to do a simple overall swirl pattern on it.  I really was at a bit of a loss as how to quilt this cute Puff dragon without making it look weird. It needed to be quilted 2-4 inches apart, but I knew that with the extra layer of the old quilt inside that tight quilting was out of the question.

Within a few seconds of beginning to quilt it I knew I had to change plans...and needles!  A size 12 was not going to cut it, so up to 14 I went.  I decided to stitch in the ditch around the design and come up with some fillers for the various parts of the dragon.  Then I could do some spirals in the background to fill that in.  I am happy with the resulting quilt!
Excuse the sunbeams - I do think Puff is enjoying them!  I added petals to the flowers, then for Puffs tummy I added upside down  clam-shells and some lines to define the ridges on his back and tail.
I was most worried about the face.  I did a wide echo around the nostrils and defined his snout, then quilted some flame-y eyebrows around his eyes, and pointy scales naturally flowed out from there.

 Here is what it looks like on the back!  That lovely green does a great job of hiding all the thread colors on the back!
 I quilted pointy scales all over his body, even down to his toes!
I finished with spirals in the background using a variegated blue and green thread.  In the end I think he looks really good!  Puff measures about 45 x 55.  He has an original quilt on the inside as well as a lightweight cotton blend batting.  The quilting is done in a variety of threads, including my favorite Aurifil, which I used for the binding.  The binding is machine stitched to the back and top-stitched on  the front. 

I am sure his owner will be so happy that Puff lives on - I enjoyed being part of the process!

Friday, October 04, 2019

Kaleidoscope Times Two!

We had our guild meeting last night, and since I am in charge of the Block of the Month I presented my blocks (we've been doing two a month - one easy one and a harder one). The Challenge block this month is called a Kaleidoscope block.  I was very pleased with the response - all the patterns were claimed and several people wanted one after they were gone.  I did think it was a rather striking block, myself!
Included with the pattern was enough fabric for the corner squares, which gives everyone a reference for fabric choices as well.  I can't wait to see what the returned blocks will look like!  
Then, for show and tell I brought Cleo's Kaleidoscope, and I got lots of great comments on that as well!
It was a fun evening!  Today I worked on an interesting project.  What do you do when you have a much loved comfort quilt that it wearing out?  Well you have someone replicate it, then convince someone else to quilt it - with the old quilt inside!  Here is proof that the old quilt is inside the new one:

This is Puff - as you can see, this is an interesting quilt, it's not square, and it doesn't have a binding either, it's all satin stitched. The fabric is quite thin and wearing through, so I thought it would work to quilt in inside the new quilt.

This is the new Puff, satin stitched onto a square of muslin.  My friend did this part of it, and I was recruited for the quilting.  This will be a regular rectangular quilt with binding. I hope it will still be as comforting when it's done!  I'll post pictures of the finished quilt tomorrow.  I had planned on doing an overall design on it, but ended up changing my mind because of the bulk of the quilt - and it made it even better than my original plan!